Fun Facts about Doctors:
– Ancient Egyptian doctors used to use leeches to treat all kinds of medical conditions.
– Cataract surgery was possible in the sixth century BC.
– Ugandan surgeons developed life-saving caesarean operations.
– The inner ear is the main organ of balance.
– A human ear contains about 24,000 fibers in it.
– Your ears never stop hearing, even when you sleep.
– The ears never stop growing through lifetime.
– After eating too much, your hearing is less sharp.
– Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
– You breathe in about 7 quarts of air every minute.
– You have no sense of smell when you’re sleeping.
– Women have better sense of smell than men.
– You burn more calories while sleeping than you do when watching television.
– Babies start dreaming even before they’re born.
– The Romans used to clean and whiten their teeth with urine.
– The tooth is the only part of the human body that cannot heal and repair by its own.
– Enamel, found on our teeth, is the hardest substance in the human body.
– Human teeth are almost as hard as rocks.
– 80% of the brain is water.
– Any damage to brain cells cannot be repaired completely.
– The brain is much more active at night than during the day.
– The brain itself cannot feel pain.
– Our Brain has over 100 billion nerve cells.
– Men listen with the left side of the brain and women use both sides of the brain.
– The human brain is very soft like butter.
– Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles per hour.
– Bone is stronger than some steel.
– There are 22 bones in the human skull.
– The hardest bone in the human body is the jawbone.
– The human skeleton renews once in every three months.
– The human body consists of over 600 muscles.
– It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.
– The human body has 230 movable and semi-movable joints.
– The tongue is the strongest muscle in the human body.
– You use 200 muscles to take one step.
– Babies are always born with blue eyes.
– The human liver performs 500 different functions.
– If your stomach acid got onto your skin it would burn a hole in it.
– The human tongue has 10,000 taste buds.
– Children grow faster in the springtime.
– Beards are the fastest growing hairs on the human body.
– Your skin is the largest organ in your body.
– Starting in the 1800s, pharmaceutical companies began selling cocaine for medical uses.
– Liquid mercury was used to treat all kinds of diseases, like syphilis and typhoid fever.
– People have used their own pee for all kinds of medical uses.
– Doctors began trying out electroshock therapy shortly after electricity was discovered.
– Ancient Egyptian, Mesopotamian, and Greek doctors all suggested sun exposure for treating illness.
– For hundreds of years, the most common way to treat almost any illness was bloodletting.
– Even just 70 years ago, lobotomy was seen as a miracle cure for mental illness.