Fun Facts about Egypt:
– Most Ancient Egyptian pyramids were built as tombs for pharaohs.
– The afterlife was incredibly important to the Egyptians.
– Over 130 pyramids have been discovered in Egypt.
– Egyptians believed that by preserving a dead person’s body their soul would live on in the after-life forever.
– The Pyramid of Khufu at Giza is the largest Egyptian pyramid.
– The structure of The Pyramid of Khufu at Giza weighs as much as 16 Empire State buildings!
– Both Egyptian men and women wore make-up.
– Egyptians believed make-up had magical healing powers.
Unwrapped, the bandages of an Ancient Egyptian mummy could stretch for 1.6km.
– The Egyptian alphabet contained more than 700 hieroglyph
Ancient Egyptians believed in more than 2,000 deities!
– Cats were considered to be a sacred animal by the Ancient Egyptians.
– The Ancient Egyptians invented lots of things we still use today, such as paper, pens, locks and keys and toothpaste!
– Until 2015, no Egyptian president had ever left office without dying or being arrested.
– The ancient Egyptians mummified both human beings and animals as they believed it would allow the dead to pass safely into the afterlife.
– Of all the Arab countries, Egypt is the only one that has a movie industry.
– The pyramid of Giza is among the seven wonders of both the ancient and the modern world.
– Aged over 5000 years, the oldest dress in the world is found in Egypt.
– The tradition of exchanging wedding rings traces its origin back to ancient Egypt.
– The famous pyramid of Giza actually has 8 sides and not four as most people believe.
– The pyramids were erected with stones so heavy they weigh up to 10 tons each.
– The three pyramids of Giza are guarded by a giant sphinx thought to be the representation of the son of Khufu, pharaoh Chephren.
– Egypt’s lost city of Heracleion was discovered under the sea after 1200 years.
– The Egyptian mummies were found to contain traces of cocaine and nicotine.
– The ancient Egyptians invented the 365-days a year calendar.
– The Ancient Egyptians had so many gods that literally every city had their own favorite deity.
– Egypt is home to one of the world’s largest dam.
– Sailing boats were first invented in Egypt.
– King Tutankhamun, an ancient king of Egypt died when he was just 18 years of age.
– Clocks were first invented by the ancient Egyptians.
Fun Facts about Egypt: