Fun Facts about Castles:
– Castles were first built in Britain by the Normans from France during the Norman Conquest.
– Windsor Castle is the oldest still-occupied castle and a home of the Queen Elizabeth II of England.
– Castles were built strictly for defense.
– Almost every stairs in the medieval castles were tight clockwise spiral stairs.
– un Facts: There are 1500 castle sites in England.
– Castles used to be completely uncomfortable.
– Average time of castle construction was 10 years.
– Oldest standing castle in Europe is Château de Doué-la-Fontaine. It was created in 950AD.
– Largest castle in the world is Prague Castle. It occupies area of 70 000 m².
– One of the most famous castles built by the Templars during Crusades is Krak des Chevaliers in Syria.
– Europe was a home of 100 thousand castles.
– The most important defenses of Castle are moats, ramparts, high walls, flanking towers, and gateway defenses.
– The first proper castles built in England were the Motte and Bailey castles.
– Neuschwanstein, a castle built by Ludwig II of Bavaria was the main inspiration castle of Disney’s “Sleeping Beauty”.
– The moat was a ring of water surrounding a castle.